Vol. 50, No. 03 ......................... March 2024
* Club Meeting *

Tuesday March 12, 2024 7:00 PM CDT
Location: Ponchatoula Community Center
300 N 5th St., Ponchatoula LA 70454

March Meet & Greet Over Food & Drinks (5 PM to 7 PM)
Toula Burger Co.

If you would like to become a member of SELARC, please print out and complete the application/renewal form and return it with your check to: P.O. Box 1324, Hammond LA 70404. Thanks!

Events and VE Sessions

Florida Parishes VE Group - Testing sessions are scheduled for the last Sunday of each month [with the exception of holiday conflicts] at AmVets Post #68; 26890 Hwy 42 (jct. of Hwys 42 and 43) - Springfield, La. 70462 (approximately 3 miles south of I-12 at exit 32) at 2pm with $15 testing fee. Bring photo ID and any appropriate CSCE. For more information contact [email protected] or Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area.

Happy Birthday

Birthday Wishes for March go out to Jerry Burg N5GKJ
If we missed your birthday, then please let us know.

Minutes of the General Meeting, February 2024

SELARC Meeting Minutes

(Meeting Type: In-Person)

(Ponchatoula Community Center, LA)

February 15th, 2024

Call to order: Russ Plyler (WI5ARD) at 7:04 pm

Pledge of Allegiance: Russ Plyler (WI5ARD)

Introductions: Done

Minutes of previous meetings: Russ Plyler (WI5ARD)

  • 1st motion to accept meeting minutes as posted by Tyrone Burns (N5XES)
  • 2nd motion by Mike Jackson (KI5GGP)
  • All Approved

Members present: Russ Plyler (WI5ARD), Mike Jackson (KI5GGP), William Harris (KF5YBY), Terry Williams (N5TDW), Ernie Bush (N5NIB), Tyrone Burns (N5XES), Dean Melancon (KG5AAE), David Catania (N5QOX), Timothy Lynch Jr. (AG5XK), Ralph Shaw (K5CAV), Dee Forrest (K5XYL), Pat Mason (KE5KMM), Ed Mason (KE5GMN), Tracy Durio (N5CTZ), Mark Duncan (KJ5DKD), George Carr (KB5ILL), Jerry Burg (W5TE), Keith Samrow (KF5VLX), Carmen Bray (KF5VXO), Brent Gremillion (KI5WGF), Lynwood Wilson (AG6IQ), Charlie DieTrich (KF5EK), Jeff Albaral (KF5ZNO)

Guest present: Deborah Young (KF5YBY Wife)

Treasurers’ report: Mike Jackson (KI5GGP)

  • 1st motion to accept the treasurer's Tyrone Burns (N5XES)
  • 2nd motion by Ernie Bush (N5NIB)
  • All Approved

Bills / Correspondence:

  • $46.35 Shipping of Grand Prizes
  • $150.00 facility for Hamfest

New member applications / renewals: Russ Plyler (WI5ARD)

  • 1st motion to accept by N/A
  • 2nd motion to accept by N/A
  • All Approved.

Health and Welfare:

  • N/A

ARES report: Pat Mason (KE5KMN)

  • Average check-ins have been running around 21
  • 3rd training session on Winlink focused on PC’s integration with radio at Covington EOC. 2nd Saturday of March.

Hamfest Committee: Tyrone Burns (N5XES)

  • Volunteers
    • Tyrone Burns
    • Randy Landry, He also volunteered to repair amplifiers.
    • Keith S.
    • Bill & Wife
    • Ernie & Sylvia Bush
    • Mike
    • Russ P
    • Terry Williams
    • Larry & Wife
    • Ryan D.
    • Ralph Shaw
    • Dean & Mary
  • Prizes (Other)
    • All Grand Prizes have been delivered and/or shipped.
    • Thanks to Ernie Bush (N5NIB) for his donation of the AA-650 back to the club for addition to the club tools.
  • Tickets
    • How many sold? 2600 Maybe
  • Speaker System
    • The issues with the speaker system in PCC has been identified. Tyrone will be replacing the 90 degree plug when available.
  • Pro’s & Con’s from membership
    • White Board to track door prizes for participants of meetings.
    • Better tracking of where the funding is coming for Hamfest.
    • Only 1 grand prize.
    • Ticket Roller
    • Raise Sign at front door
    • Hang White Sheets over for no entry.
    • Foxhunt at Hamfest needs to be advertised more.

Repeater Committee: Tyrone Burns (N5XES) & Russ Plyler (WI5ARD)

  • Tickfaw
    • Waiting to see when the grounding is down at the tower.
    • Future Steps
      • Insulation is on location and needs to be installed on the ceiling.
      • Wall outlets have exposed wiring and burnt plugs that need to be corrected.
      • Power distribution in the cabinet.
      • 110 power wall sockets within the building.
    • Dean & Keith are looking for time next week to replace power outlets.
  • Hammond
    • Waiting on Pete to complete the work on the repeater.
    • Future Steps
      • Power distribution in the cabinet.
    • Kenwood Repeater Transmitter Went Out
      • Pete is donating his backup repeater with one stipulation of it driving a PA.
      • Tyrone Motion to external amplifier with a maximum of $2,000 per site. Hammond and Tickfaw, Mike Second.
      • Motion of spending $300 on fixing the 145.13 repeater. 1st Ernie, 2nd by Ed.


  • HMU (Hammond, LA, North Oaks Hospital)
    • Operational
  • PCC (Ponchatoula Community Center)
    • Operational
  • W5TEO (Hammond)
    • Operational

Old Business:

  • N/A

Field Day: Mark Lacey (WX5RN)

  • Winter Field Day The weekend after the Hamfest.

Training - CW by George Carr (KB5ILL)

  • George once again had a great presentation on CW (Morse Code). There were quite a few various keyers and keys to see and try. George had been looking to order a Morserino-32 and by chance Jerry Burg (W5TE) had one at the meeting. Another recommendation was the Long Island CW Club.
  • Morserino-32 (Keyer, Trainer, Decoder, even Transceiver)
    • This is a very neat device. A few members have already purchased their kits.
  • Long Island CW Club (Online Training via Zoom)
    • Similar to the Morserino-32 a few members have already signed up to become a member. Throughout the day there are hourly training options at different skills levels. There are even forums about specific topics like Boat Anchors. It is a great environment to learn.
  • Any future training topics?
    • EMP Protection / Dave with OZONE on LRS (Lightning Rig Saver) Russ WI5ARD to contact Dave.

New Business:

  • Congratulations on the new licenses and/or upgrades from the VE Session of the Florida Parishes VE Group.
  • Ponchatoula Country Market (May)
    • Dee Forrest K5XYL asked if SELARC would like to do a radio setup in the Month of May. If so, who would like to be the contact to coordinate the setup we would have. This would be for one of the weekends in May on a Saturday (10-5) Ryan Dellucky.
  • Ponchatoula Strawberry Festival (April 12th thru 14th)
    • Who’s interested in doing a special event for the event? Ryan Dellucky will work coordination. After the meeting he found the cost to participate in the event was excessive.
  • BikeMS: Dat’s How We Roll 2024
    • Dates: April 6th & 7th
    • Rest Stops
      • Saturday will have 7 stops
      • Sunday will have 6 stops
    • Route Maps <link>
    • Terry Williams (N5TDW) will once again be organizing the amateur volunteers. Please send Terry (N5TDW) a message to volunteer listed on QRZ.
  • Fox Hunt
    • Please reach out to Ryan Delkucky (KI5NMJ) if you are interested in doing a Fox Hunt.
  • March Meet & Greet (5 PM to 7 PM)
    • Tula Burgers
  • March Meeting (7 PM   8 PM to 9 PM)

○ Ponchatoula Community Center

■ 300 N 5th St., Ponchatoula, LA 70454

Upcoming events / Hamfest / Cancellations:

  • Acadiana DX Hamfest
    • Date: March 8th, 2024
    • Rayne, LA
  • Mobile Hamfest
    • Date: Saturday April 27th, 2024
    • Time: 8AM to 2PM
    • Greater Gulf State Fairgrounds, Mobile, AL

General discussion, presentation, or training:

  • ARRL Section Manager Election
    • Ballots should have already arrived for those eligible to vote.. Matt Anderson KD5KNZ who currently is in the position is asking for our votes to continue on in the LA Section Manager position he currently holds after John Mark stepped down.
    • Your ballot must be returned by Friday, February 16, by 4 PM.

Motion to adjourn:

  • 1st motion to adjourn meeting by Ed Mason (KE5GMN)
  • 2nd motion by Pat Mason (KE5KMM)
  • All Approved.
News from The ARRL Letter


--The ARRL Letter and The American Radio Relay League



Stay Radio active -- Hope to see you at the next meeting. Be sure to monitor your weekly nets, e-mail, and the SELARC website at https://www.selarc.org for any updates.